At the doctoral symposium, we had a presentation by
Prof. Mihaela Kelemen on "
An American Pragmatist Agenda for Researching Management Practice". This was an interesting talk that looked at how insights from the early US pragmatists might be useful for modern management research. However, I did feel that she did not sufficiently differentiate the Pragmatist from other positions, such as Social Constructivist or Critical Realist positions.
Her book on critical philosophical approaches to Management research is:
KELEMEN, M. and RUMENS, N. (2008) An Introduction to Critical Management Research (London, Sage)
I am afraid it is not yet available in the MMU or John Rylands Libraries. I would be interested of anyone's opinion on this book.
1 comment:
Bruce,
I too enjoyed Prof Kelemen's talk regarding American Pragmatism.
Regarding your point, I know you already fully understand and know the answer and you are attempting to engage us in debate. Therefore, I tried to gain a deeper insight into this issue.
What I have come up with is that the earlier attitude of 'American Pragmatismn' outlined by constructivists Dewey, James and Peirce was clearly highlighting the 'critical thrust of constructionism'. However,it seems to me that since the early works of pragmatism the critical charateristics have some what been seen as being to tame.
I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on Munfords accusation that James and Deways pragmatism is in fact an attitude of 'compromise and accomodation'.
Cheers
Scott Bambrick (The Scotsman)
MRes Philosophy Class
Post a Comment